As the temperature begins to plummet, it becomes clear that autumn is well and truly on the way. With a chilly breeze in the air outside, it’s left me craving warm and hearty soups once again, such is the inspiration behind this delicious spicy bean soup.
This huge batch made enough for 6 generous portions. That’s lunch sorted for the rest of the week!
•2 tbsp veg oil
•1 onion, roughly chopped
•3 crushed garlic cloves
•2 tbsp ground cumin
•2 tsp ground coriander
•chilli flakes…depends how hot you like it. I ended up using 2tbsp in this big batch!
•1 tbsp tomato purée
•1kg chopped tomatoes-I used this container from Sainsbury’s rather than buying multiple tins
1) Heat the oil and gently cook the onion and garlic on a low setting.
2) Add the coriander, cumin and chilli flakes, stirring gently for 2 minutes.
3) Stir in the tomato purée, followed by the chopped tomatoes and sugar.
4) Pour in the stock and taste, adding more herbs and spices if necessary.
5) Transfer to a food processor or use a hand-held blender to form a rich, smooth soup. Add more stock if preferred.
When serving up, sprinkle on some fresh chopped coriander. Simple!