After my super healthy curry last night, I fancied something a little more indulgent tonight! For this recipe, I took inspiration from my Easy Pasta cookbook, from which I’ve previously made a cherry tomato, ricotta and basil cannelloni. As I’m a goats cheese obsessive, I decided to use this as my main ingredient and thought I may as well use the left over spinach from yesterday!
I made this cannelloni extra cheesey but you can easily omit some of the cheeses to make a healthier alternative. I also used the same wholewheat pasta sheets that I used for my spinach and feta lasagne but regular sheets work just as well. This was slightly time consuming to make but well worth it in the end!
INGREDIENTS (makes 5-6 portions)
•1 tbs olive oil
•1 red onion
•1 crushed garlic clove
•1 can of chopped tomatoes
•A pinch of sugar
•100ml red wine
•A handful of chopped basil leaves
•12 lasagne sheets
•375g soft goats cheese
•120g wilted spinach
•50g chopped sun-dried tomatoes
•125g mozzarella, sliced
•A small block of grated vegetarian hard cheese
•A few pinches of black pepper
1) Pre- heat the oven to 200c. If not using fresh lasagne sheets, blanch until soft and set aside.
2) To make the sauce, heat oil in a large pan and add the onion and garlic, simmering for 3 minutes.
3) Add the tomatoes and sugar, continuing to stir.
4) Pour in the red wine, stir in for a further 3 minutes and add the basil.
5) Lower heat and cover, leaving to simmer gently for 20 minutes.
6) In the meantime, crumble the goats cheese and mix in a bowl with the spinach and sun-dried tomatoes.
7) Spread half the tomato sauce on the bottom of a 30x20cm oven-proof dish.
8) Take a large spoonful of the cheese mixture and spread onto a lasagne sheet. Roll it up and place in the oven dish.
9) Repeat until all the lasagne sheets and mixture have been used.
10) Spread the remaining tomato sauce across the top and add the mozzarella slices.
11) Cover in foil and leave in the oven for 25 minutes.
12) After this time, remove foil and sprinkle over some grated hard cheese. Garnish with some black pepper and basil leaves then place under the grill for a further 10 minutes.
13) Leave to stand for 10 minutes then serve with some rocket and a dash of balsamic vinegar.
Possibly the most delicious meal that I’ve ever thrown together. I will be making this again very soon!