I went to South West Four festival on Saturday AND Sunday this weekend. With lots of dancing and alcohol consumption, all I ate to keep me going was the odd sandwich. To aid the recovery process yesterday, I feasted off an extra large and extra cheesey Domino’s pizza all day long. Needless to say, I didn’t feel particularly healthy or energetic today and was in great need of some vitamin and mineral replenishment.
Cooked the right way, a vegetable curry is the perfect, low-calorie way of obtaining a good dose of your 5 a day. I used spinach for iron, chickpeas for fibre and served it with quinoa for protein. However, you can make this curry with just about any vegetables you like and serve with rice if preferred.
I’ve made many a veggie curry over the years but have finally found my perfect combination of ingredients. I like my curry spicy but if you’re not so keen, only use one chilli and de-seed it.
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
•1 large sweet potato, chopped into bite-sized chunks
•2 cloves of garlic
•1 large onion
•2 red chillies
•juice of 1/2 a lemon
•3 coriander stalks
• 1 tsp black pepper
• 1 tsp tumeric
• 1 tsp ginger
•1 tbs ground coriander
•2 tbs ground cumin
•1 tbs olive oil
•2 cans of chopped tomatoes
•2 tsp sugar
•1 can of chickpeas
•120g spinach, rinsed and chopped
•1 tbs natural yogurt (omit for vegan alternative)
•A handful of coriander leaves, chopped
•Quinoa or rice to serve
1) Boil the sweet potato chunks for 10 minutes then set aside.
2) Roughly chop the onion, garlic, chillies and coriander stalks. Place in the blender along with the lemon juice and spices.
3) Add a little water then blitz to make a thick paste.
5) Heat the olive oil in a large pan and add the curry paste, sizzling gently for 5 minutes.
6) Stir in the tomatoes and sugar then stir in the chickpeas, spinach and sweet potato.
7) Cover and simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes. Check occasionally, adding a little water if necessary.
8) Serve over a bed of quinoa/rice with a dollop of yogurt (optional) and the chopped coriander leaved.
This was spicy but delicious. I’m definitely feeling much more healthy now!